Car versus bicycle accidents often leads to serious injuries for the bicyclist. They can also become very complicated in the aftermath as people try to figure out who is liable for the crash. Many people think that a vehicle driver involved in these incidents is always at fault, but that is not the case. At The Hayes Law Firm, APC, our knowledgeable and experienced team wants to answer some common questions about liability in the aftermath of a car versus bicycle crash. If you need a bicycle crash lawyer, we are here to help you secure the compensation you deserve.
Who is liable for these accidents?
In many cases, a driver is at fault for a bicycle crash. Drivers can cause these incidents in a variety of ways, including:
- Driving while distracted by their phones or other devices
- Driving while impaired by alcohol or drugs
- Drivers ignoring traffic laws, particularly failing to yield
However, there are times when a bicyclist can be held liable for a crash. Bicyclists are required to follow all traffic laws, and most jurisdictions require them to ride on the right side of the roadway. Bicyclists can also be held liable for an accident for:
- Not stopping or rolling through a stop sign
- Not riding in bike lanes if they are there
- Riding on the wrong side of the road
- Failing to yield when necessary
- Abruptly turning without giving a signal
A cyclist injured in a crash should work to determine the driver’s fault in order to secure compensation for a crash. An attorney can help do this by gathering all of the evidence necessary from the scene.
Bicycle accident statistics for California?
According to the California Office of Traffic Safety, there were thousands of bicycle crashes across the state annually. During the latest reporting year in the state, there were 147 bicyclists killed and nearly 12,000 injured. A high percentage of all bicycle crash victims suffer from some kind of injury. These injuries vary, but often include:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Head and brain trauma
- Broken and dislocated bones
- Soft tissue damage or amputations
- Internal organ damage
These injuries can lead to major medical expenses for the injured cyclist. They could lose valuable income if their injuries prevent them from working. That is why it is so vital that liability is established so a person can get the income they deserve.
We are ready to get to work on your case
If you or someone you love has been injured in a bicycle accident that was caused by another person, please seek legal assistance as soon as possible. At The Hayes Law Firm, we specialize in investigating car versus bicycle accident cases. Our goal is to secure the compensation you deserve, including:
- Your medical expenses related to the incident
- Lost wages and benefits if you cannot work
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of personal enjoyment damages
- Possible punitive damages against those responsible
When you need a bicycle accident attorney, you can reach out for a free consultation by clicking here or calling us.