When you or a loved one head out for the day, whether to head to the store for some groceries or to go to work, we know that the last thing you expect is for a tragedy to happen. However, we know that the negligent and careless behavior of others can cause people to harm and even death. Today, we want to talk about a recent work fatality that happened here.
At the Hayes Law Firm, APC, we are ready to help when you need a Montebello wrongful death attorney. We know this is a difficult time for you and your family, so let us work on securing the compensation you deserve.
What Happened In This Case
We are learning that one worker was killed and another injured in an equipment malfunction incident a the Port of Los Angeles. The incident happened on Wednesday, May 15 at around 7:30 a.m. at the Fenix Marine Services Pier 300 and involved a top loader container.
It seems that one of the tires blew on the top loader. One worker was pronounced dead at the scene and the other injured worker was transported to the hospital.
Per protocol, the incident is being investigated by Cal/OSHA, Port Police, and other agencies. While we do not know what caused the tire to malfunction, we do know that problems with work equipment are common causes of workplace fatalities. Employers should always ensure that all workplace equipment is regularly inspected and maintained.
Today, we want to discuss some other causes of wrongful death lawsuits. These cases are brought by surviving family members against the person, company, or organization they believe is responsible for the death of their loved one. Please know that this is not a complete list and you should always speak with an attorney before making any legal decisions.
- Vehicle Accidents – Did you know that 29% of all traffic fatalities during California’s latest reporting year were caused by alcohol-impaired drivers? We also know that distracted drivers and those who speed cause many unnecessary roadway deaths.
- Product Liability – We hear about product recalls all the time. In many cases, a faulty design, manufacturing error, or misleading labeling can cause consumers fatalities.
- Medical Mistakes – Medical mistakes are the third leading cause of death in the United States according to Johns Hopkins researchers, killing approximately 250,000 people each year.
What We Can Do To Help
There is no amount of money that will erase the pain a family feels after losing a loved one due to the negligence or carelessness of another person or group. However, at the Hayes Law Firm, APC, we know that a wrongful death case can help bring closure and justice. Our knowledgeable and experienced team will work to investigate what happened so we can secure the following:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of future income and benefits of the deceased
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of companionship damages
- Punitive damages against those responsible
When you need a Montebello wrongful death attorney, you can reach out for a free consultation by clicking here or calling us at 323-477-1415 .