The last thing you should ever have to worry about when you or a loved one are out enjoying a bike ride is that negligent or careless drivers will cause a major injury. However, we recognize that you may need a bicycle accident attorney in Montebello to help you now.
At the Hayes Law Firm, APC, we are ready to investigate what happened in a bike crash so we can secure the compensation you need for all of your crash-related expenses. Today, we want to discuss a recent case from nearby Boyle Heights that shows how dangerous bicycle incidents can be.
What happened in this incident?
We have learned that a man was recently struck and killed by a driver in a 40-foot box truck while riding his bicycle in Boyle Heights. When the incident happened, it was being investigated as a hit-and-run crash. Police immediately recovered surveillance video from a nearby store that showed Jamie Ramirez losing control of his bicycle and then being run over by the trailer’s tires.
Police say that the man driving the truck did not stop and that they were possibly unaware they had even struck the cyclist. A witness followed the truck and got a photograph of the license place. This investigation is still under investigation, but it highlights some things we need to discuss.
- Bicycle crashes often result in severe injuries
- Bicyclists have no protection from the force of a vehicle, or in this case a large truck, slamming into them. We often see severe injuries such as broken and dislocated bones, traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, amputations, and death.
- In 2017, there were over 11,000 bicyclist injuries and 124 bicycle crashes in California.
- Drivers AND cyclists have a responsibility to follow traffic laws.
We know that bicyclists are vulnerable to being harmed due to negligence driving behavior. Especially dangerous are drivers who are distracted by their phones or other devices while behind the wheel. We also know that alcohol-impaired drivers were responsible for 31% of all traffic-crash fatalities in 2017.
Bicycle crash victims and their families are often left in financial jeopardy after an incident. On top of massive medical bills, they often have to contend with a loss of income if a victim cannot work due to their injuries.
We are ready to get to work
If you or someone you care about has been injured in a bicycle crash caused by the negligence of another person, you may need to seek legal assistance. At the Hayes Law Firm, APC, we are ready to step in and get to the bottom of what happened. Let our team work to secure the compensation you need, including:
- Coverage for your medical expenses related to the incident
- Lost wages and benefits if you cannot work
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of personal enjoyment damages
- Punitive damages against those responsible
If you need a Montebello bicycle accident attorney, you can reach out for a free consultation by calling us at 323-477-1415 .