We have learned that the family of a 22-year-old man who was killed by Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputies has filed a lawsuit against the county. They are alleging that the deputies used “unreasonable and excessive force.”
At the Hayes Law Firm, APC, we understand that losing a loved one is incredibly difficult, especially if you believe someone else’s negligence was the reason for their death. Our qualified and experienced team is ready to help when you need a Montebello wrongful death attorney. We want to ensure that you get the compensation you deserve.
What Happened In This Case?
Last year, Carmelo Pizarro Jr. was shot and killed in front of his home. Sheriff’s deputies say that they saw Pizarro driving his Mitsubishi in nearby Pico Rivera at around 1:30 am on June 19, 2018. They suspected he was intoxicated and attempted a traffic stop. Deputies say he sped away and eventually crashed.
Pizarro then fled on foot. A spokesperson for the sheriff’s office claims that Pizarro was armed with a gun but dropped it while running from deputies.
Pizarro’s family claims that he was running in “fear of his life” but attempted to surrender. They claim he was shot, despite being “visibly unarmed.”
While it will take some time for this case to move forward, we know that excessive and unreasonable police force is only one way in which wrongful death cases arise. Some other common wrongful death cases are caused by:
*Please know that this is not a complete list. Always speak to a qualified attorney when making decisions about your particular case.
- DUI crashes – for the latest reporting year in California, alcohol-impaired drivers caused 29% of all traffic fatalities.
- Distracted drivers – anyone who pays more attention to their phones or other devices instead of watching the roadway is much more likely to cause a fatal crash.
- Medical mistakes – medical errors are the third leading cause of death in the US and occur due to medication mistakes, misdiagnosis, failure to treat, surgical errors, and more.
- Faulty products – there are hundreds of recalls each year in the US, many for products that have caused fatalities.
- Premises liability – property owners have a duty to ensure the safety of anyone who has a right and expectation to be on their property.
- Nursing home neglect and abuse – this is an unfortunate reality. When nursing home staff neglect and abuse the elderly, fatalities are likely to occur.
How We Can Help
If you have lost a loved one due to the negligence of another person, agency, or company, please let us extend our condolences. We know this is an incredibly difficult time and we want to help. At the Hayes Law Firm, APC, we understand these cases and will work to secure the compensation you deserve. This can include:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of income and benefits of the deceased
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of companionship damages
- Punitive damages against those responsible
When you need a Montebello wrongful death attorney, You can reach out for a free consultation by calling us at 323-477-1415 .